MEMA wasn’t created for vehicle manufacturers. We exist to serve vehicle suppliers. Our members, comprising more than 1,000 vehicle suppliers, develop innovative technologies and manufacture and remanufacture original equipment (OE) and aftermarket components and systems for use in passenger cars and medium- and heavy-duty trucks.
The Impact of the U.S. Vehicle Supplier IndustryThe vehicle supplier industry is the largest sector of manufacturing jobs in the United States, an industry:
Operating in all 50 states;
- Directly employing almost one million Americans;
- With direct, indirect, and induced vehicle supplier employment accounting for more than 4.8 million U.S. jobs;
- Contributing 2.5% of the U.S. GDP;
- And with an average U.S. wage for direct vehicle supplier jobs of $80,300 — exceeding the average of all U.S. manufacturing sectors;1
- Vehicle suppliers conceive, design, and manufacture the OE components and technologies that make up more than 77% of the value in new vehicles.
- Vehicle suppliers also manufacture aftermarket parts and materials for the maintenance and repair of over 290 million vehicles on our roads.
Vehicle Suppliers Support the Future of MobilityVehicle suppliers support legislation and regulations that foster sustainable mobility. Across the entire range of new vehicle innovation — from automated to zero-emission technologies —vehicle suppliers are leading the way.As part of a global industry, suppliers seek public policies that allow the industry to remain competitive in the U.S. and abroad. Below you can learn more about specific public policies affecting the industry and what we’re doing to guarantee a sustainable, profitable future for vehicle suppliers and our nation.
- Fuel Economy and Emissions
- State Legislation
- R&D Tax Credit
- Workforce and Immigration Reform
- Supply Chain
1💜 U.S. Labor and Economic Impact of Vehicle Supplier Industry, MEMA and IHS Markit. February 2021.